Monday, March 15, 2010

happiness, expectations and performance

Something for the group to consider:

For most people ...

Expectations has a positive relationship with Performance (i.e. the higher you expect to achieve, the higher the likelihood of greater achievement; conversely, if you have low expectations, your achievement will likely match)

Expectations has a negative relationship with Happiness (i.e. happiness comes from meeting or exceeding expectations. if expectations are set low, much easier to be happy. If your sole expectations were to have food and a warm bed, you'd likely be happier than having expectations of all As and perfection)

Where is the optimum level of expectations, one that optimizes both performance and happiness?



1 comment:

  1. So true and simple in theory, yet so difficult to answer. First, the optimum level of expectations to maximize performance and happiness varies from one person to the next--that we can agree from logic. However, when it comes to finding that balance for yourself, it's a constant struggle, at least I can say that it has been for me and some of my peers as well. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I'm type A, which makes me have unreasonable expectations for myself, constantly leading to let downs, as I don't accomplish everything I set out to.


    Yet in many cases, failures lead to an increased drive to succeed, if you choose to react that way. Not to mention they provide great learning experiences (provided you keep your eyes open and reflect!) So, unmet expectations undoubtedly cause upset, usually temporary, but also bring along a short-term gain of elevated drive and long-term benefits of lessons learned.

    Maybe I just like to have my cake and eat it, too?

    ReplyDelete